POMPEY’S PILLAR

 

An ancient gathering place beside the Yellowstone River visited by William Clark on July 25, 1806

 

His signature on this sandstone butte is the only surviving evidence of the

 Lewis and Clark expedition found along their trail.  The natural stone ‘pillar’ was named by Clark after his nickname for

Sacagawea’s son Pomp

View from the top of Pompey’s Pillar across the Yellowstone towards a site where General Custer camped with his men at a time when the construction of a westward  rail line needed protection from the locals.